About Zion - 167 years old and getting better, every year
In 1846, the Rt. Reverend Jackson Kemper, the first missionary Episcopal Bishop, established the Zion Episcopal community in Oconomowoc and appointed William Adams as the first rector of Zion.
In 1851, a wonderfully positioned parcel of land and a sizable memorial for the eventual building project was donated to the Zion parish by member John S. Rockwell. This parcel, which prominently juts out into Fowler Lake, was called "The Point" by the community, as it is surrounded on three sides by water. The first service in the new building on the Point was held on Christmas Eve, 1853.
The present Romanesque stone building was built in 1889, for approximately $17,500. The stained glass, "teaching" windows, above the altar, were shipped from London, England, and installed in 1893.
The Sunday School wing was added 1959 and the Chapel, which never closes, was added on in 1968.
Zion Episcopal Church is considered one of the most photographed churches in the Midwest, and is proud to have been the original site for the Oconomowoc Festival of Arts, one of the top juried art festivals in the US.